Bath Soaks for Cold, Sore Muscles and Dry Skin
Winter can be tough on the skin. The harsh weather conditions and exposure to central heating means our skin can suffer and many of us will experience dryer skin as a result. Not only this, but below the surface, our muscles may feel tighter and sore during the winter season. This is because our muscles must work much harder in colder temperatures to continue their necessary tasks and tend to be less loose and relaxed as they are in warmer weather.
It is, therefore, important to consider how winter can affect the body and skin, and alter your routine to address these particular concerns. Why not consider Westlab products for the ultimate solution to giving your skin some TLC this winter?
1. Caring for Dry Skin
When your skin is feeling particularly dry during the winter months, it is important to reconsider the ingredients your skin is exposed to. To start, any product containing SLS/SLES can strip away the natural moisture of your skin, leaving it dryer. You find this in many shower gels, shampoos and bubble baths, so check the ingredients and try to avoid using them during winter months. Our bath and shower gels are free from SLS/SLES so maybe try switching to these during the winter months. The Dead Sea bath and shower gel has the additional benefits of nourishing Dead Sea minerals, as well as being dermatologically approved for sensitive skin, so it’s great for the whole family.
Washing with hot water can actually strip your skin of its natural moisture. So, consider turning the temp down just slightly to protect your skin from increased dryness. If your skin is particularly sensitive, pat yourself dry with a gentle towel, to avoid causing further irritation.
Following a gentle cleansing routine, always remember to moisturise, to lock in the necessary moisture your skin needs. It may seem like a chore, but this can be a really luxurious experience, which your skin will thank you for!
2. The Benefits of Dead Sea Salts for Dry Skin
With an abundance of natural minerals such as magnesium and potassium, dead sea salt has been a solution for soft, supple and smooth skin for centuries. If it is good enough for Cleopatra, it’s good enough for us! These minerals offer a whole range of benefits for the skin, particularly skin which is dry, irritated and sensitive. These benefits include:
- Nourishing and softening dry skin
- Soothing and calming itching or irritation
- Helping to protect the skin’s natural barrier
Our Dead Sea Bath Salts are ideal for a winter soak. Helping to gently cleanse, nourish and soothe your skin. You will notice your skin feeling soft to the touch, moisturised and less dry and itchy. A perfect addition to any winter skin care routine!
Dr Ruth Cammish is a GP who suffers with dry skin and Eczema, so she knows a bit about dry skin during the winter months. She recommends the following from her own routine:
“My skin feels soft and soothed after a bath with Westlab Dead Sea Salts. I keep the water tepid, as hot water can overheat my skin and make me scratch. It’s perfect before bed to calm me down. My skin is sensitive to fragrance and SLS so the Dead Sea shower gel is a hero product. It doesn’t dry my skin out and it’s a gentle way to wash my skin”
3. Bath Salts for Sore MusclesIf your muscles are feeling particularly sore and stiff this winter, our Epsom Bath Salts are made with 100% natural ingredients. Tried and tested by some of the most successful professional athletes (nobody knows sore muscles quite like an athlete), the combination of magnesium and potassium provides the ideal solution for soothing tired and sore muscles! The magnesium in these salts, in particular, help replenish magnesium levels in your blood, helping to relax your muscles, reduce spasms and cramping. On top of your use of Epsom bath salts, the warm water of a bath will further relax the body and aid in the release of lactic acid to ease tense muscles. *
“Amy Williams, MBE, a British former skeleton racer and Olympic gold medallist, states: “I love Westlab salts, not just for sports recovery but for a welcomed moment of relaxation from life at home as a busy mum! Added to my bath, my body feels almost instantly relaxed and my mind even more so.”