Veganuary has been a hotter topic than ever this year due to documentaries like Cowspiracy and Before The Flood shining a light on the environmental impact of the meat and dairy industries. In keeping with our 100% vegan range, Westlab ambassadors Gracie and Sophie Tyrrell - of healthy snack brand Squirrel Sisters – have shared a tempting vegan breakfast muffin recipe with us. Small enough to take on the go, these muffins are the perfect way to start your day however busy you are!
Ingredients (makes 24):
- 125g/41⁄2oz grated apple (leave the skin on for more fibre)
- 50g/13⁄4oz coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 130ml/41⁄2fl oz/1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 100g/31⁄2oz/1 cup ground almonds
- 60g/21⁄4oz buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 11⁄2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp lucuma powder
- a pinch of sea salt
To top the muffins:
- dried fruit (goji berries, cherries, chopped apricots, raisins, etc.)
- nuts, roughly chopped (hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.) cocoa nibs
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3 and grease a 24-hole mini-muffin pan really well with coconut oil.
- Get all your chosen toppings together before you start.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated apple, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk and vanilla, and stir together really well.
- In another bowl combine all the remaining ingredients. Add half the dry ingredients to the batter and fold in, then fold in the remaining half.
- Using teaspoons, spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Top the muffins with whatever fruit, nuts and other flavourings you wish.
- Pop the pan in the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until the muffins are risen, golden on top and cooked through. Check them after 15 minutes or so, and if they are browning too much, pop a sheet of foil over the top (sometimes the sugar in the dried fruit has a tendency to catch).
Image Credit: Haarala Hamilton.
Recipe from Naturally Delicious Snacks & Treats by Gracie and Sophie Tyrrell, published by Pavilion Books